Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The not so funny side of being fat

Health risks!
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes around October 2008. I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy and my numbers never went down after delivery. The truth is I was probably pre-diabetic before the pregnancy as my weight was soaring out of control at that time. I had a blessed pregnancy, and worked hard every single day on getting healthy. I lost almost 50 pounds while I was pregnant and kept the gestational diabetes in check. I knew that there was an increased risk in developing Type 2 after delivery (and it was even higher for me, because I was diagnosed early on in the pregnancy) so I was not surprised when I was referred to an Endocrinologist at my six week check-up. I was disappointed...I had come so far, lost a lot of weight, was eating healthy but not so lucky.
I spent the first year of my diagnosis trying to ignore it and hope it would go away on its own. Not that I think there is a precedent for that happening. I started eating crap again, gaining weight and became sedentary. Then I snapped out of it...I stopped feeling sorry for myself and let go of the embarrassment and shame that I felt from the diagnosis. I went to a diabetes counselor and started meeting with a diabetic nutritionist as well. As a result I am eating better, losing weight and more active.
I went to the Dr. this morning and was a plump 228, down from 243 at my May appointment (which was down 8 lbs since my February appt). My A1C (diabetic blood test) was 5.8 no change since May, but definitely down since February. The ADA defines diabetes as an A1C of >6.4 and the pre-diabetic category as 5.7 - 6.4.
My goal is to one day be off the medication and I think I might be getting close. But until then I will prick my weary fingers every day, every three months I will continue to get stuck in the arm for lab work and see the Endocrinologist. I will take my medicine daily which causes me to have umm, lets just say intestinal issues. And I must not forget to have my eyes and feet checked annually. None of this is fun, in fact it all kind of sucks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, you have come so far. I watch my patients struggle everyday, but I see the end result of uncontrolled sugars as well. The work is so worth it in the long run. Just look at Josie and think about all the extra time you will have to get on her nerves when she is older. I will be on the same track once Savannah gets here. I was 200lbs at my first prenatal visit...Girl, we can struggle together.

Kim Shea