Monday, November 15, 2010

The Golden Rule for Fat Girls



This rule should apply to everyone, but it is especially important that it applies to us fat girls. Never, ever, ask someone if they are pregnant! You can congratulate women you know who are pregnant, but under no circumstances is it ever ok to ask a stranger if they are expecting. Unless of course you are asking for medical reasons.
very similar to the one I was wearing
Prior to having my daughter I had a lot of empire waisted tops, sweaters and dresses. I didn't think much about them until I was pregnant and had to start wearing all of empire waisted maternity clothes. Since then I have rarely dared to put one of those pieces back on...knowing that it looks like it could be (I said COULD BE, because it is NOT) maternity clothes. This weekend I put on what used to be one of my pre-baby favorite sweaters...buttons at the top and swings open at the bottom. I was just running errands and felt no need to get dressed up. Off to the bank I went where I had to actually conduct business at the side desks instead of the teller, as I was leaving she asked me "are you expecting?" When I said no, (my face made it clear I was thinking more than "NO") she tried to play it off saying that I looked like one of the customers that she thought was pregnant.
I wanted to shout at her and tell her, "NO, I'M NOT PREGNANT...I'm just fat...does there have to be a reason that I look like this?" I wanted to tell her how incredibly rude she was and how she had ruined my day, but I said "no" laughed it off, got into my car and posted my FML moment on Facebook!
This is not the first time this question has been asked of me, it usually happens about one time a year. It is hurtful to me on so many levels. First because I am just fat, there is no excuse for me being this size. Secondly because I am never strong enough to turn around and tell them to go to hell. And finally because maybe I wish that I was pregnant and you asking me that reminds me that I am not. You don't know me, so why would you be so mean?
To all those who will say "I'm sure she wasn't being mean, she was trying to be friendly"...I suspect you have been here for yourself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry...she was a thoughtless idiot...and that in itself is mean.