Friday, December 31, 2010

Not your typical runner

Hell, I'm not even a runner! But two of my accomplishments that I am most proud of are completing the Walt Disney World Half Marathon in January of 2007 and the First Disney Princess Half Marathon in March 2009. I trained for almost a year to run my first race. I started out running half a lap around a track and built up my mileage from there. I am extremely dedicated and driven during my training. I ran 8 miles in Las Vegas while I was traveling for work, I ran 8 miles in Jamaica when I was on vacation. I ran in the rain, I ran when it was below freezing outside and I ran the race in 90% humidity and 90 degree weather! The second race I ran 8 months after giving birth to my daughter. I started training after my 6 week check-up even though I had not been running since shortly after completing my first race in 2007. I would pump and run and meet my husband and daughter after the race and nurse or pump again. It was a difficult time to be training with the new baby and it being winter, but I was again driven to complete this goal. I didn't set any records, but I proved to myself that hard work and determination can go a long way...about 13.1 miles to be exact!
Me around mile 5 on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom during the Princess Half
I love the fact that I have run 2 half-marathons...one, because it is something that not everyone has done and two because no one would look at me and think I was capable of such a thing.
So now it is almost 2011 and it looks like it is time to take on another race and more importantly the training that goes along with it. Thinking about October at Walt Disney World, that should buy me enough time to get my fat ass in gear!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen you can absolutely do this!! We.....I mean I...could learn a few things from you! You are an inspiration to all of us and most importantly, Joey! She will grow up seeing that you are a strong woman and setting such a great example. Love you~ Shandelle

Molly BW said...

What an inspiration! I'm 14 weeks post baby and can't seem to pull myself off the couch. Tomorrow starts a new year and new me. Thanks KBV for sharing this.